måndag 24 januari 2011

So confused.

Edit: This wasn't all that illogical and confusing once I gave it a little thought.

It's not logical. Why can't it be logical?

I heard it appeared again today from a guy down town. The guy who did one of the news reports about the Niagara "lights"? It wasn't visible from the balcony in my apartment, which is fairly close, so I decided not to go down there right away. 2 hours pass and I go down there anyway 'cause I wanted some snacks at a convenience store. Had a look, pretty weak, so I move on.

I go home and I get a request from handeroo to go see if it's visible from my apartment (he lives 30 min outside the city), and when I go, I see this huge, brilliant rod up in the air. Absolutely mind numbing and beautiful to look at. I start taking pictures and notice it looks like it's coming from the area in town where the square building is at (there's a square building being lit up by powerful, stationary spotlights nearby my apartment).

I then notice the flash is back, and it basically looks like it did yesterday, only a little longer. I take some pics of the now two rods together.

Then I go down there with my car and I'm actually able to confirm that the lights from the first rod is straight above the lit up building. I'll post pictures and a video in a while, confirming this.

The flash (from the spotlight) is gone, and unfortunately the wind changed, moving in the "constant cloud" being generated by the falls. I meet up with 'roo and then go home.

So........ what I'm thinking is that it's some kinda weird, weird, very weird weather phenomenon that hasn't been documented before, but.. *shakes head* there are inconsistencies.

The flash was again only seen as the searchlights (sorry, I keep referring to them as spotlights and searchlights, but I'll be calling them searchlights from now on as those are the ones that move, and spotlights are stationary) were pointed straight up, but what kinda weather phenomenon does that?! I have pictures of the square building shot just after I saw the rod. You can see how the light is getting spread out, and in the video I shot you can actually see the lights forming a square on a lower set of clouds, Then forming that rod on a higher set of clouds.

The square on the lower set of clouds suggests that the light is being spread out in a normal fashion. The edges of the square building are creating shadows, which should form a square hole on the clouds if the spotlights (remember, stationary) were pointing straight up. However, they're not pointed straight up, they're pointing inwards, towards the building, creating shadows that instead of forming a square hole, form a square (on the clouds).

So that's all well and fine, and is supported by normal, logical physics. But what happens after they hit that first set of clouds isn't logical at all. Logically the light should just continue to spread in that fashion, but instead it focuses, and only in a rod pattern straight above the first set of clouds?

I tell you, it doesn't make sense. What weather phenomenon would react like this, only refracting (spreading) light when it's being hit by light from a certain angle? It's like a mist that can pick and choose which light source gets to illuminate it, and it's choosing light from straight below, and NO other angle! It's so god damn confusing!!

These are findings I've noticed today, so it's fresh off the printer so to speak. If you have any ideas, please, let me know.

View of bright rod from my balcony:

Zoomed in:
Rod with "flash" (reflection from the searchlights):
Square building (after I drive down there with my car):
Alternate angle of same building, showing it's scattering light in the normal, understood fashion.


View of first rod (right), flash from searchlights (middle) and a third light, barely visible on the left from unknown light source:
The Youtube video showing the square buildings "shadow" forming a squareon the first set of clouds and then the rod (in the above picture) on the second set (or on "something") is coming up.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar